Information for Festivals
Viola Dana made their debut performance at the 2009 Revelation Perth International Film Festival, and has
since been invited to play at other high-profile events in Western Australia. Drawing from Kathy Corecig's
loose composition for the band, Viola Dana has created a new soundtrack for Buster Keaton's classic 1926
silent comedy, The General. To help evoke the Amercian Civil War setting of the film, Viola Dana's
instrumentation of viola, cello, guitar/banjo and percussion along with the use of folk melodies and textures
lends a rustic quality to the soundtrack. The influence of Reich's locomotives is heard here; so is Tom Waits'
ragged, wounded take on jazz. The result is a highly original, unpretentious rendering of Keaton's masterpiece
for a contemporary audience.
Buster Keaton's feature-length The General is suitable for all ages, and is often included in lists of the best films
ever made. Bernard Zuel of the Sydney Morning Herald lauded it as 'Marvellously exciting...spectacular', and
Roger Ebert described Keaton's work here as 'Graceful perfection'.
Viola Dana perform to a beautifully restored print (or DVD of the restored version) of The General from
Madman Entertainment. Licencing for festival screenings can be arranged by contacting Paul Tonta at
Madman: pault[at]madman.com.au / +61 39417 0977
Contact Kathy Corecig at k.corecig[at]gmail.com or on +61 405 106171 to request a DVD sample of Viola Dana's
soundtrack performance to The General.
Downloads available below:
* A short band bio - 'About Viola Dana.doc'
* Sample synopsis of The General for programme inclusion - 'The General brief synopsis + blurb.doc'
* High resolution stills from The General - 'Annex - Keaton, Buster (General, The)_23.jpg','general buster and marion on the porch high res.jpg',
'general buster looking out of train high res.jpg' etc
* High resolution image of Viola Dana - 'viola_dana_high_res.jpg'
* Tech. specs for Viola Dana's performance, inc. stage plan - 'Viola Dana Tech Specs.tif'
* Letter of recommendation from Jack Sargeant, program director of Revelation Perth International Film Festival - 'Letter of support-Revelation_0001.pdf'